Monday, April 8, 2013

Blog Post 12

1. Visit Occupational Outlook read though each tab on the page.

2. Write a brief summary about what you looked at. What did you find that you didn't know about already? Is the work environment what you expected? Is the average pay what you expected?

3. Look through this Similar Occupations

4. Write a post about what you found on this tab. Which job is close in pay to the one you want? Would you want to further your education for a similar occupation?


My response:

Occupational Outlook
On this website, it tells you all about what you need to know about being an elementary teacher. While on this site, I looked at what kind of degree it takes to become an elementary teacher, the type of on-the-job training it takes, the number of jobs that were available in 2010, and what the pay was. What I found on the site that I didn't know already was the pay. I thought that most teachers got paid like 30,000 but actually, they get paid on average 51,380. With that being said, the average pay is not what I expected it to be. The working environment seems to be exactly what I thought it was going to be. What I like about this site, is that it tells you about the positive and negatives of teaching.

Similar Occupations
There are a lot of similar occupations to that of elementary education. Some that I didn't even think about. For example, teacher assistants, career and technical educational teachers, instructional coordinators, and postsecondary teachers. Middle school teachers are the closest in pay to what elementary teachers get paid. This actually surprises me because I expected middle school teachers to get paid closer to what high school teachers get paid because they have to take the same amount of classes in college. As for wanting to possibly furthering my education, I would want to become a principal after teaching for a while. For that to happen, I would have to get my master's degree.

1 comment:

  1. Jasmine,

    I really like your assignment. When I was in high school I took a personal finance class that required us to do some research using Occupational Outlook. It is very interesting what kind of information we can find there. Job well done for sure! Keep it up girl!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete