Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Blog Post 5

If I Built A School
Krissy Vensodale is a Gifted Ed Teachers and I can tell by her blog that she loves colorful things. In her blog about "If I built A School" she explains that if she had a school she would love to have a huge sign that said "Welcome: Now Entering an Innovation Zone." She goes on to say that there would be colorful walls, comfy seating for kids, and a treehouse in the library. She wants to have a brightly painted bus that teachers could take their students on field trips any time of the day. She wants the building to be full of wonder and to not have any state tests. If I were to build a school, I would probably build one like the Elementary school I went to. Expect I would have every wall in the hall wall full of bright colors. The teachers would be able to decorate their room any way they would want to. The bathrooms would constantly have bubbles everywhere, because I love bubbles. The cafeteria would have a wide variety of foods to choose from and the tables wouldn't be those hard uncomfortable tables. I would have couches and comfy chairs and bean bags, because kids love bean bags.

school

Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir
Technology continues to surprise me everyday. This virtual choir is amazing! Who would have every thought about doings this. Everyone's voices go so well together and it's mind blowing because they have never met each other before. Such wonderful sounds are being made. You never know, but this maybe how music can evolve in the future.

Teaching in the 21st Century
What Roberts means to teach in the 21st century means that students nowadays can look up anything they want, any time of the day, anywhere they are. So what are teachers here for? He believes that teachers should be the one to filter and show students how to properly use google, twitter, and all the other expanding technologies. He wants teachers to teach about plagiarism and copyrights because students don't know what that is. I feel that Roberts is coming from a very logically stand point. The world is evolving fast and kids can now look up anything and so why do they need teachers? He is right that teachers can show students how to properly use the technologies in the world. If by chance he is right and the world catches on to this video, then teachers teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic will be no more. Schools every where would have to have computers so teachers can show their students how to use a computer to benefit them later on in life. By getting the students engaged and not entertained, by what Roberts said.

Flipped Classroom
I believe that flipping the classroom is for older kids. Not for kids in elementary. If I were to teach secondary education I could see how this would be useful to me but I want to teach elementary level so I think just teaching the regular way would be great for me.

3 comments:

  1. I believe your blog post is very well written and thought out. I believe students would LOVE your school, it sounds very welcoming. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. " Expect I would have every wall..." Except, not expect

    What about no grade levels and advancement based on readiness and abilities? What about the emphasis on creativity and critical thinking? What about the massive use of technologies including computers, iPads, SMARTboards, video equipment for learning, not entertainment? These are more important I think than the decorations. Did you attend a school like this?

    "...about doings this..." doing, not doings

    "...a very logically stand point." logical, not logically

    "I think just teaching the regular way would be great for me."

    You cannot teach like you were taught and be successful as an educator. See the comments of Lauren Brannan, Teacher of the Year at J.E. Turner Elementary School in Wilmer, AL. Lauren explains why (if I have not succeeded in that effort).

    Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you for the most part about the Flipped Classroom for older students. The video talked about this teaching style for math. For math, I think it would be extremely effective. I think realistically, for math, it could begin as early as 5th grade. Early elementary students are still working on the basics like reading and writing.

    ReplyDelete