Monday, February 18, 2013

Blog Post 6

computers The Networked Student

The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler posted on the EDM301 Class blog, starts off by explaining there is a student studying American Psychology, there is no required text book and the teacher never does lectures. His teacher uses connectivism, which means learning occurs within a social network of many diverse connects and ties. It helps students connect with others around the world, the connects are better than the tools itself. In order to do connectivism, the student has to create a Personal Learning Network. He looks up things on Google scholar and reads other peoples blog and then he forms his own opinions on his own blog. They explain that on iPods, iTunesU contains lectures from professors all over the world. He also posts his knowledge on wikisites so that other people can learn from it as well. Teachers are needed for this because teachers show students how to use this network. Teachers also show guidance when students get stuck, how to communicate properly, and ask respectfully for help from others.
Call me old fashion, but I still believe in teachers teaching students in person, in a classroom. I don't believe students should learn from a computer. The way the world is moving, teachers will be rare to none because everyone is learning from a computer. I believe that it is important for students to know how to efficiently research but for them to completely learn from the computer is absurd! Information that a student can get from the internet, a teacher should know. As for the networked student, the lectures that he is listening to on his iTunesU should be the lecture that a teacher should do in a classroom. I don't think connectivism is a complete waste, I think it should be used as a project. Like a final project, that you've had all semester to do.

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment

That student was basically learning from the internet. I still don't like that students are learning from the computer rather than a teacher. Having a PLE, a student will never need a teacher expect for showing them how to start it and if a student gets stuck. I just think that this is the world becoming lazy and relying on the computer to teach today's children.

3 comments:

  1. "I don't believe students should learn from a computer....I still don't like that students are learning from the computer rather than a teacher." really? Even after Anthony's presentation Sunday? As you saw Sunday, Baldwin County is now ephasizing the use of challenge based, project-based and problem-based learning strategies at all grade levels. These efforts are similar to the networked student's approach to learning except the approaches vary according to grade. If you are not prepared or are not willing to be a networked teacher you can cross Baldwin County off your list of potential employers. So get ready to be a Networked Teacher!

    If you want to drop out of the project group, that is OK with me. We will rearrange the groups next week in the mandatory classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr Strange, I didn't say I wasn't willing. In my opinion, I don't believe elementary kids should be learning from a computer. As for what Anthony said sunday, it doesn't seem like he sends his kids home to learn from a computer each night. He actually teaches. I still want to be apart of the project and I'm appalled that you would try to kick me out. I am more than excited to be working on this project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr Strange, I didn't say I wasn't willing. In my opinion, I don't believe elementary kids should be learning from a computer. As for what Anthony said sunday, it doesn't seem like he sends his kids home to learn from a computer each night. He actually teaches. I still want to be apart of the project and I'm appalled that you would try to kick me out. I am more than excited to be working on this project.

    ReplyDelete